Patients should be at the heart of healthcare, from prevention and awareness through research and development of new therapies.
In clinical development, they are of critical value by providing guidance in the clinical trial design and in the choice of appropriate outcome measures and by validating the feasibility and inclusion speed in patient recruitment.
Engaging patients in clinical development process ensures that future therapies reflect real life needs and preferences.
In addition to your training as CRA or as Clinical Study Manager, HELIS Academy (partners flanders.bio & VIVES) is organizing 1,5 day program to learn you more about how biopharmaceutical industry is collaborating with patient organizations in the clinical development of new therapies. From providing, input in clinical study design and testing the legibility of informed consent forms to providing valuable guidance in improving patient recruitment and retention. You also will learn more about the role of patient organizations in helping to increase awareness about clinical trials within the community of interested patients. Next to this, you will learn on the recruitment of healthy volunteers for phase 1 clinical trials.
This program complements your training as CRA and /or Clinical Study Manager and gives you additional knowledge to improve your chances respectively to start as a CRA or to be selected when applying for Clinical Study Manager.
- Course: Patient Centricity in Clinical Trials
- Language: English
- When: 6-7 November 2019
- Day 1: MeetingCentR4, Communicatiecampus, Sint-Denijslaan 487, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
- Day 2: Clinical Pharmacology Unit Janssen, Lange Bremstraat 70, 2170 Antwerp, Belgium
8:30 – 10:00
- Introduction: what does patient centricity mean?
- The central role of patients in clinical trials:
- Involvement of patients in the design of clinical trials
- Involvement of patients in the development of the informed consent
Anneleen Lintermans, Policy Officer, Vlaams Patiëntenplatform
10:00 – 10:30 Coffee Break
10:30 – 12:30
- Importance of strategy behind patient centric clinical trials
- How does GDPR and ethics connect with patient centric recruitment?
- The role of social media in patient centric recruitment
Nathalie Niclaus and Barbara D’haene, co-founders/patient recruitment specialists, Akcelis
‘The patient management company’
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30 – 16:30
- Workshop: ‘Patient Engagement: What does it mean for your role?’
16:30 – 17:00
- Patient Testimony: ‘What does patient centricity mean for me ?’
Mitchell Silva, Patient Entrepreneur, Esperity
13:00 – 16:00
- Visit of the Clinical Pharmacology Unit
(Phase 1-unit) of Janssen, Merksem