The number of Fablabs and MakerSpaces in Europe has increased greatly in the last decade. And that’s a good thing because Makerspaces work towards democratizing access to technology and often have the aim to also actively support the future of young people. Great makerspaces however democratize learning. Yet, we need to hear more discussion about how these spaces can be used by all learning groups, in particular pupils and students that are missing motivation and are at risk to leave school and become a so called NEET (not in Education, Employment or Training) We are convinced that MakerSpaces are in the unique position of offering training and education to these youngsters and motivate them not becoming a NEET.
We believe that MakerSpaces can also enhance entrepreneurial skills among this NEET target group.
With PROGRAM we want to focus on the broader concept of education for entrepreneurial attitudes and skills, which involves developing certain personal qualities and is not directly focused on the creation of new businesses. Our project targets VET students in secundary education that are at risk to become a NEET.
The project is aimed at VET students from all fields of education, thus creating a cross-sector approach and allowing students from not only different countries but also different backgrounds to learn from each other.
- The first target group are youngsters and pupils that are still in education but are difficult to motivate and are belonging to this risk category that will drop of school early.
- The second target group are the students from Higher Education Institutions. In the last phase of the projects, students from Social Work, Teacher Training and Product Design will be invited to follow an interdisciplinary course about using the Makerspace as a tool for enhancing entrepreneurial skills.
- Multiplier events will target managers and teachers from secondary VET-schools and other makerspaces. The outputs and results will be demonstrated and they will inspired to use this output. The overall objective of this project is that we enlarge the capacities of vulnerable young people once they come on the labour market. We want to do that by enhancing their entrepreneurial skills. Meanwhile we prevent them from early school leaving as we will offer an attractive didactical approach. On long term the result should be a lower rate of NEET-youngsters. During the project and on its completion we will obtain several results:
- Develop an overall strategy of how makerspaces can be used to enhance entrepreneurial
- A specific trajectory of workshops will be developed and organized for the specific target group.
- Guidelines and train the trainer sessions will be organised for all involved staff in the Makerspaces.
- A transnational learning network will be set up in which MakerSpaces and other organizations exchange experiences and good practices
- Curricula of secondary schools will be adapted in this way that the course on entrepreneurial skills will be part of it
- An interdisciplinary course for higher education students will be developed.
- The outputs will be widely disseminated though multiplier events
- Students will get the opportunity to be part of an exchange
We’ll achieve our objectives via a trajectory that will follow the principles of design thinking. Design
Thinking is a methodology used by designers to solve complex problems, and find desirable solutions for clients. Participants will be learned how to use the design thinking model and how they can create new things. The design thinking process will be the tool for enhancing their entrepreneurial skills. The trajectory will be flexible and can be adapted to the specific needs of the target group. It is important that these are not structured courses but more workshops in which students are free to operate. it is important to give the student authority to make decisions and to take action.
The main result of PROGRAM is to provide a solid model for a trajectory for enhancing entrepreneurial skills adapted to the needs of those pupils that are at risk for early school leave. It is set around 5 Intellectual
- Development of a “Guide of Good Practice”
- Development of a trajectory of workshops and trainings for secondary VET-students
- Development of “Train the trainer sessions”
- Development of Secondary VET-education module
- Creating a model Model for interdisciplinary and sustainable organisation of the PROGRAM
In the end, PROGRAM will provide secondary schools, university colleges and regional authorities a
solid model for a trajectory that has a significant impact on student learning, on their entrepreneurial
and social skills and on their personal development. Via PROGRAM we can help to prepare them for
the future and maybe ignite a passion for lifelong learning and entrepreneurship!
Experten van dit project:
Meer info over dit project?
Neem contact op met Koen Denys via mail