In contemporary and future education, the importance of ICT is growing. Working with the latest software is crucial, both for the teacher and for the student. VIVES University of Applied Sciences therefore considers software packages to be essential learning material in every programme.
It's important that everyone uses exactly the same, recent software version, not only during the lessons, but also at home or at home. In the VIVES computer network, only the use of legal software is allowed. The university of applied sciences fully supports the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) principle, but expects every student to use their laptop safely on the campuses, i.e. with the necessary antivirus software.
The many software packages that a student needs are very expensive on the private market. That is why VIVES University of Applied Sciences has set up a partnership with the company Signpost. Group purchases can significantly reduce the cost of the software for our students. On Signpost's Academic Software software platform, VIVES compiles a standard software package. It consists of dozens of software titles, which every VIVES student, regardless of the education or training phase, has to purchase as compulsory learning material. This software can be legally installed and used on the student's PC. For the academic year 2020-2021, the entire package will be settled on the school invoice at a very competitive price of 20 €. The following software titles are included in the package on Academic Software:
- Office 365 online and local installation linked to your student account (= mandatory version of Office365 to be purchased by each student so that shared class notebooks can be used in OneNote and/or documents can be safely shared only within the VIVES domain).
- A OneDrive storage space of up to 1 TB
- McAfee Antivirus
- LinkedIn Learning with numerous instructional videos and practice material to learn Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, ....
- Access to the reading software Alinea
- SPSS: statistical analysis software
It is possible that some programmes use additional software that is not included in the compulsory standard package of Academic Software. This extra software is usually charged on the school invoice. Students from VIVES University of Applied Sciences also have the option of purchasing a number of additional software packages via Academic Software at greatly reduced prices. At Academic Software, for example, you will find the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite at a very attractive price!
The Academic Software package also includes helpdesk support for every student. This helpdesk offers help and support for the download and installation of the various software packages. They can also help you with technical problems with software during the year and even during your entire course, both during the academic year and during the holidays. You can contact the helpdesk by phone or e-mail. If necessary, they will also take over your screen, with your permission, to get you back on track as soon as possible. This way we can be sure that every student always has working software available on his or her device.
A year's subscription to Academic Software is mandatory for every student. The cost price is 20 euros for the academic year 2019-2020 and is charged via the college invoice.
- Click on the button 'Academic Software' below.
- Then fill in your VIVES account (r-number) and click on 'Login'.
- Then choose the option 'Shibboleth' which will take you to the association's login page.
- Finally, log in with your VIVES account (r-number) and your password. You will then be logged in to Academic Software.
The above mentioned steps can be found in this manual illustrated with screenshots:
Problems or questions?
Academic Software's helpdesk is available every working day from 9 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
You can contact the helpdesk using the following information:
- via mail to [email protected];
- of by phone +32 (0)3 327 30 70.