Application procedure English-language programmes
Candidate students with a degree obtained outside the Flemish Community, can register online for academic year 2020-2021 (starting in September 2020) as of 1 November 2019.
- for students within the European Economic Area (=EEA students*) is 4 september 2020
- for students outside the European Economic Area (=non-EEA students*) is 1 May 2020
*EEA countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.
Step 1: Web registration
In the web registration, you can fill in the name of the study programme you wish to follow. Make sure to add the following required documents to your application:
- Copy of your diploma of secondary and/or higher education (make sure to include an official translation if your original diploma(s) is/are not in English, French, Dutch or German and make sure that the diploma is legalised)
- Copy of identity card/passport (front- and backside);
- Proof of English proficiency
VIVES requires one of the following certificates as proof of fluency in English (level B2 both written and spoken):
- IETLS: overall band score of minimum 6,5
- TOEFL iBT79 or CBT 213 or PBT 550 (institution code VIVES = C314)
- TOEIC Listening 490 + Reading 455 + Speaking 200 + Writing 200
- SAT Reasoning Test Critical Reading 500 + Writing 500
- ACT English 20 + Reading 20
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) grade A, B or C
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) grade A, B or C
- Students who have obtained a Flemish or Dutch diploma of secondary education.
- Students with a university degree or high school / college degree earned in the ‘Inner Circle’: United Kingdom, USA, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, Caribbean Islands and South Africa. The certified degree and transcripts suffice, provided they confirm that the entire study was completed in English.
The admission committee will only consider duly completed applications. Please submit your documents using this application form (a detailed manual to complete the application form can be found here):
Step 2: Certified copy
After the web registration, you need to send us a certified copy of your degree(s) (secondary and/or higher education). A certified copy of a document is a copy taken of the original document by the educational institution that issued the degree. They stamp the copy, thereby attesting that it is a true, authentic copy of the original document. These certified copies must be sent, by the educational institution itself, in a sealed envelope, to the following address:
VIVES University of Applied Sciences
Admissions Office (t.a.v. Ruth Boelens)
Please note that photocopies or digital versions of certified copies are not accepted.
Step 3: Receiving feedback
After the admission committee has received and verified your documents (the online application as well as the certified copies of your degrees by postal mail), an investigation will take place. You will receive an answer confirming the approval or rejection of your application. In case of rejection, you will be informed why your application is rejected.
- For EEA students: in case of approval, go to step 5.
- For non-EEA students: in case of approval, you have to prove that you have sufficient means of subsistence (see step 4).
Step 4: Proof of sufficient means of subsistence
Remark: this is only for non-EEA students.
A student must have sufficient means of subsistence to cover the living expenses, tuition fees, study costs, or healthcare. To be sure that you are able to cover the necessary costs, you will need to prove that you have the required necessary means. Therefore, you need to transfer the means of subsistence for the complete academic year to the blocked account of VIVES University of Applied Sciences. The blocked account covers three kinds of costs:
- The tuition fees for students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA): this consist of a fixed registration fee and a variable fee based on the number of credit points included in the curriculum. The fixed registration fee is 1500 euro and the variable fee is 56,66 euro for each credit. This makes 4900 euro for a complete academic year of 60 credits.
- The living expenses: the minimum amount which a student must have is fixed and indexed every year by royal decree. It is currently at least 666 euro / month (academic year 2019-2020).
- A handling fee: 100 euro.
As such, the total amount for academic year 2020-2021 (12 months) is 13000 euro. You will receive an e-mail with the invoice and more detailed information from the admission office.
- The purpose of the blocked account procedure is to obtain a visa or to extend your residence permit.
- For students applying for the bachelor programme: be aware of the fact that this amount only covers the first academic year, so you will also need about 13.000 euro in the second and third year of the bachelor programme. At the end of the first academic year, you will be asked to transfer the same amount of money again to the blocked account of VIVES.
- More information about the regulations concerning ‘sufficient means of subsistence’ can be found here.
STEP 5: Admission documents
We will send you the following documents by e-mail:
- Admission letter
- For non-EEA students: proof of payment
For non-EEA students: These documents will allow you to apply for a student visa. The minimum waiting time for visa processing is approximately 4 weeks, but it could take up to 6 months. Therefore, submit your visa application on time. If your visa wasn’t afforded before November 1, you will not be able to start the programme.
STEP 6: Finalise your enrolment
Enrolment for academic year 2020-2021 officially starts on Friday the 26th of June 2020 and ends on the 16th of October 2020. Please note that VIVES University of Applied Sciences and the Student Administration Office are closed from 14 July until 15 August 2019.
You will receive an email asking you to pay the enrolment fee (for non-EEA students, the enrolment fee will be deduced from the blocked account).
- 1 November 2019: you can register online
- 1 May 2020: registration deadline for non-EEA students
- 29 June 2020: start date to finalise your enrolment
- 4 September 2020: registration deadline for EEA students
- 14 September 2020: start date of the academic year
- 16 October 2020: enrolment deadline
Please note that VIVES University of Applied Sciences and the Student Administration Office are closed from 13 July until 16 August 2020.